Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pan-Seared Salmon with Citrus Vinegar Glaze and Green Beans

Melissa's Notes: I must say, I'm not completely comfortable cooking fish at home, mostly because I really haven't done it all that much.  But last weekend James wanted a lighter dinner, so I decided to go out of my comfort zone and go for it...I'm so glad I did!  The fish was perfectly cooked and dinner was on the table in less than 15 minutes, not to mention everybody loved it and cleaned their plates without complaint.  It has inspired me to incorporate fish more regularly into our weekly menu.  If the glaze isn't your cup of tea, I urge you to still try this simple way to prepare salmon, it's delicious even without the glaze and so easy.  Just FYI, I halved the recipe for the glaze and it still made more than enough. Also, I made sure everything was ready to go before I put the salmon in the pan, that made the dinner super quick and stress-free.

recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals 2

Ingredients

4 salmon fillets (6-oz. each)
EVOO, for brushing fish
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 c. dry white wine (I'm sure you can substitute this with water or white grape juice if you want)
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. orange juice
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
1 lb. green beans, trimmed
orange or lemon rind slices

Directions

1.  Preheat a cast-iron pan or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.  Brush the salmon fillets with oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook salmon until just cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side.
2.  While salmon cooks, bring wine, vinegar, citrus juices and brown sugar to a boil over high heat.  Reduce glaze 3 or 4 minutes, until thickened (I found this took more like 6-7 minutes).  Remove from heat.  Stir in 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper.
3.  To a second skillet, add green beans, pieces of orange and/or lemon rind and 1/2 inch of water.  Bring to a boil, cover, and cook 3 or 4 minutes.  Drain the beans, toss with a drizzle of EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
4.  Drizzle glaze over salmon fillets and serve with citrus green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment