Saturday, July 21, 2012

Mango, Tomoato, and Avocado Salad

Melissa's Notes: James and I have been on a health kick this last week.  We're trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and less meat and processed foods.  So far (with the exception of a church picnic today) I have felt so much better and haven't really felt deprived at all.  I will say that I have had a much higher grocery bill this week and have spent more time in the kitchen than I care to share.  So if anyone has any words of advice for me, I'm listening!  I made this salad with flank steak tacos and it was delicious on the tacos, or it would be great over a bed of greens as well.  This is a nice side dish for Mexican food that is not too heavy and can easily be adapted for kids by just putting the ingredients they like to the side before you mix in all the dressing.

Mango, Tomato, and Avocado Salad

recipe courtesy of Good & Fresh Magazine

1 mango, seeded, peeled, and cut into chunks
1 tomato, cut into chunks
1/3 c. thinly sliced red onion
2 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 avocado, cut into chunks
lettuce leaves (optional)

1.  In a medium bowl combine mango, tomato, and red onion.  For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine cilantro, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Cover and shake well.  Pour dressing over mango mixture.  Toss gently to coat.  Cover and chill for 1-4 hours. (I didn't have time to do this and it still tasted great)
2.  Just before serving, stir in avocado.  If desired, serve with lettuce leaves.  Makes 4 servings.

166 calories per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment