Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chocolate Bread Pudding

Melissa's Notes: I kind of tried this recipe on a whim. That day, I received a loaf of homemade bread from some cute girls in my ward, and as I was perusing a new recipe book I had checked out from the library I came across this. I haven't had a lot of bread pudding in my life, but I have had a couple dishes at restaurants that were so yummy. This was easy and so satisfying as a dessert. Especially with vanilla ice cream on top!

courtesy of Sara's Secrets for Weeknight Meals

Ingredients

3 cups milk (I used non-fat, but I'm sure you can use anything from skim to heavy whipping cream)
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used chocolate chips)
one 13-14 inch loaf soft crust supermarket Italian bread, cut into small cubes
3 large eggs
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
whipped cream or ice cream, to top

1. Heat 1 cup milk in a small saucepan over low heat until bubbles begin to form at the edge. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until the chocolate has melted; stir to combine.
2. Arrange the bread cubes in a buttered 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until frothy; whisk in the remaining 2 cups milk, the sugar, vanilla, and salt until combined; stir in the chocolate mixture. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture; pour the rest evenly over the bread. Set aside, covered, for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 425. Uncover the baking dish and pour the reserved chocolate mixture evenly over the bread. Bake in the center of the oven until the bread has puffed and is set throughout, about 20 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment