Thursday, September 9, 2010

Corn Chowder

Melissa's Notes: I've tried a lot of different recipes for Corn Chowder, and most of the time, it just doesn't do it for me. But when I had my second child, Annie, my good friend Jen brought this over for dinner one night and it was delicious! So even if you don't get excited at the thought of Corn Chowder, give this one a try, it might just change your mind. Serve with Cornbread Muffins.

recipe courtesy of Jen

Ingredients

1 stick butter
1/2 c. flour
2 cans chicken broth
2 c. fat-free half and half
1 c. onions, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
1 c. carrots, chopped
2 c. potatoes, cubed (I used yukon gold)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 can corn

Melt butter and add flour, quickly stirring. Cook about 1 minute, then slowly add chicken broth and half and half, continually stirring. Add the salt, and all the vegetables, except corn. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are fork tender. Add extra chicken broth or milk if soup is too thick. Add the canned corn, and heat through. This makes enough for 6-8 adult servings.

3 comments:

  1. I love corn chowder, but haven't found the perfect recipe. It is cooling down here so soup sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good. I made a corn and squash chowder last week and the kids actually ate it. So I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it last night and loved it! I like a lot of potatoes in mine so I threw an extra one in there. I loved the other vegetables in it too.

    ReplyDelete