Thursday, June 17, 2010

Brown Rice Salad



recipe courtesy of Penzey Spices

Melissa's Notes: This would be a great side salad to bring to a potluck, or a nice light lunch. I wouldn't serve it as a main dish, personally. I just cooked my rice in my steamer and added the garlic cloves whole, then took them out before making the salad. You could eat it right away, or put it in the fridge and let the flavors meld together overnight. I ate it cold the next day, and really liked it, it was very filling. I think marinated artichoke hearts would taste great in it as well. I love the citrusy hints in the dish.

Ingredients

1 c. uncooked brown basmati rice, or white if preferred
3 cloves garlic
2-3 c. diced, cooked chicken
1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions
1/4 c. chopped sundried tomatoes
1 tsp. fresh lemon rind
1 16-ounce can garbanzo beans, juice reserved
1 8-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

Cook rice with garlic. Add other ingredients and drizzle with dressing.

Dressing

1/4 c. garbanzo broth
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. dijon mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano

No comments:

Post a Comment