Friday, June 18, 2010

Hootenannies - with whole wheat



Melissa's Notes: This is a Cook family favorite, and no, they are not German Pancakes or Dutch Babies, the correct name for them is Hootenannies. This morning, Annie asked me what they were called, and after I told her she said, "My name's Annie, too!" Pretty cute. Sometimes James even calls them "Hoote-Natskers" for the Nat girl. Anyway, I have always wanted to try them with whole wheat, but have never had the guts to change what was already a perfect recipe! But this morning, I went for it, I substituted 1 cup flour with 1/2 cup whole wheat, 1/2 cup regular flour. And instead of 1/4 c. butter, I used 3 Tbsp. light butter (Smart Balance 50/50). Now I'm not going to claim that I improved upon the recipe...I didn't. But, I will say that my girls did not say a thing and ate their usual 2 pieces. And James approved as well, although he prefers the normal version, he said he still thought this one was good. Here is the original recipe, make substitutions if you're feeling daring that morning. With my substitutions it is 150 calories for 1/8 of the recipe.

Ingredients

6 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter (3 Tbsp. works for me)

Preheat oven to 425. Combine eggs, flour, milk and salt in a mixing bowl or blender. Stir well, until all lumps are gone. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Melt butter in microwave, and pour into pan. Pour batter into pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until sides are rising over the pan and browning. Serve with syrup or powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sending me the link. I even told Laurie about it.

    ReplyDelete